So this is another Out ‘N’ About post. My bestie & I recently saw Straight Outta Compton and it was the best biopic I’ve seen since Ray. In addition, it was the first time in a long time that I stayed awake in the movie theater. I didn’t fall asleep once even though the movie was 2 hours and 27 minutes. Yay me!!! The last movie I saw at the movie theater was The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water back in February. It was terrible but I was on auntie duty. I do it for the kids. Before that, I saw Selma (on New Year’s Eve with my bestie) which was excellent. I only dozed off a little bit towards the end…lol
So let me give you the scoop on Straight Outta Compton.
- The groupie scenes were a bit much but then I saw this video clip and realized that they were really
about that life.
- This movie made Dr.Dre look like a saint. They made sure to leave out Michel’le and the abuse he put her through. They also made sure to leave out the beat down he gave Dee Barnes.
- I like Ice Cube more after watching this film. He seemed to be more grounded than the other group members. He appeared to have more respect for women and his marriage.
- Ice Cube’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr. did an excellent job portraying his father
and he’s fine. I love this interview he did with his dad.
- Jason Mitchell did an excellent job playing Eazy E. And to think he used to run the streets and be a line cook. Click here to hear his inspiring story.
- NWA was extremely sexist and they had ZERO respect for women.
- Suge Knight really is crazy, he always has been. But karma got him good in 2015. You can only be ruthless and crazy for so long before that ish starts catching up to you. Signing with Suge Knight and Death Row Records was like signing a deal with Satan himself. Just ask Tupac.
- The music in the film was on point. The (non-NWA) old school music playing in the background during some of the scenes and the NWA music as well. #OnPoint
- I learned many things about the group. I legit did not know that NWA consisted of five members. I always thought the group was just Eazy E, Dr.Dre and Ice Cube.
- I learned a lot about the city of LA, the LAPD and the police brutality (towards black men) during that era.
My bestie and I gave the movie two thumbs up. The movie has lots of cursing, some nudity (topless women), sex scenes and violence. It is rated R and (as I mentioned above) 2 hours and 27 minutes. We watched the movie at Regal Laurel Towne Centre 12. The seats recline and they are SO COMFY. I felt like I was at home in my bed watching TV. Your girl was laid out!..lol I was super comfortable. The movie theater is inside of Laurel Towne Centre so there are lots of people around. However, there is free parking in the garage! My favorite theater (since they remodeled it) is AMC Center Park 8 in Beltsville. They also have reclining chairs too!
Have you seen Straight Outta Compton? If so, what did you think?
Please share your comments below and have a blessed weekend.